Friday, May 15, 2009

Thirsty

"The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated." William James

I was looking online for quotes on appreciation, since my words are lost in the lack there of, and I stumbled on many which were relevant to my present state. However, the one that was so simple and quite abrasive was by William James. At first I wasn't convinced with the concrete statement that it is, without question, the deepest principle. I decided to look up who Mr. James was to see what kind of man would be bold enough to say this with such authority. I was immediately drawn to ponder this idea more thoroughly when I learned that William James is one of the earlier influential psychologists in the field. So he must know what he is talking about!

Even though I have never heard or read of James in my undergraduate psychology major career, I knew he must have been in love to come to this conclusion. He studied Pragmatism, which goes to say he needed some kind of mind fogging effect to understand the need to be appreciated, and then quoting it as the deepest principle of human nature. Love is the ultimate form of appreciation. When you say 'I love you,' it is saying more than just you mean so much to me. It is saying I am grateful you are in my life. It is a intimate way of saying 'thank you.' Thank you for everything you do and everything you are. Thank you for being a part of my life. Thank you for changing my life.

I may seem out of bounds to a lot of folk, but I am sure James would understand completely. He understands that when you love someone, it is genuine, and unforced. It is not like an Indian Giver who shares their greatest treasure with you for a moment, but steals it back once they miss it. Love can't be returned. It can't be exchanged. When it is true, it is permanent. That is why it is never ending, even when it isn't being given back. See people think that love can run out, like when a well runs out of water. But the love isn't represented by the water; it is the well. The strong walls that wrap around the tunnel that runs deep into the ground. The well holds the favors, the special little things, the major I-got-your-back things, the gifts, the tears and grief that come with a broken relationship... Even when all those things run out, the well still remains, even if it is empty.

So what does this have to do with appreciation? Appreciation is the rain that fills the well. It is the fuel to keep the love strong and abundant. It is when that loved one uses their own water to fill your well. Any small favor, any sweet lil nothing in the ear, a small kiss on the forehead; they are all appreciation, little 'I love you's' to let you know that you matter. And those can't be forced either. So I guess my main dilemma, bringing this all up, is what happens when the rain stops falling? The love is still there, but its dry and arid. How does the person who drinks from the well survive?

MS

2 comments:

  1. I know these last two weeks have been hard on the both of us. But I really need to take these words to the heart. Earlier when I read this I looked over it skimmed through it but didnt really try to understand the words and the meanings behind them. I tried to brush this off as you just not wanting to express yourself in person and just complaining on your blog because you can write whatever you like and not feel ashamed of expressing it. But I know I have been reclusive lately in a way which contradicts the meaning of the word because I havent been meditating on religious purposes. I have been letting the troubles of the world take over my mind once again causing me to lash out at you in a way that hurts the most. Silence. I remember two months ago when our days were full of the lil things. These things got us through the week because we didnt know when the next time we were going to see each other, hold each other or just be in each others presence. Now that we have this in abundance I've taken our precious time for granted and really need to apologize for not "appreciating" you. I believe you put it the best because I do love you in the sense that I'm thankful the good Lord blessed me with you. Through every dark time in my life you have always been my light. Even after I disrespect you, put you down and dont reciprocate the love you show me. What makes you truly an angel is that this love doesnt stop flowing like an everlasting river. Behind all the stress, frustration and depression is the man inside me wading through this river against the current. Scared that if I just go with the flow of the water the river is going take me away and I will no longer have myself anymore. But I realize that what I had made myself wasnt who I was but somebody who had built walls to trap his emotions and hide his pain so he could cope with his pathetic life. Thing is If i just let the river take me away I will be truly who I am supposed to be. Because within your Love Im more myself than I ever was. Able to swim with the flow of the water, stronger than the man wading against the current. To Love and not feel loved back is a true burden that I no longer wish you to bear. My eyes are opened to the blunders I have made. Well really its only just one thing. Your love has to be acknowledged because you truly are an angel that deserves to be cherished. If I keep my eye on the prize, I know you'll never go thirsty again.

    ReplyDelete