Saturday, February 28, 2009

More Jump Off Joe Promotion

After I took an exam on dead poets, I rushed to the store to cop the album that single handedly could resurrect hip hop. Def poetry on wax, is what I was in search of.
No hyperbole needed to explain that on Padded Room, Budden's creativity manifest itself on an array of introspective tracks that most artists these days simply can't even conceptualize. I mean, the album is called Padded Room, how separated from mainstream can you get?
In retrospect, I should've expected Best Buy to not have the album, and saved myself the crowded and uncomfortable bus ride. I've heard him in interviews talking about Amalgam Digital, and how he wants his fans to buy his music digitally. I'll pass, and digitally rip it from limewire if I don't find it soon.
Anyways, this album reminds me a lot of Amy Whinehouse's Back to Black. These two artists got issues! As we all do, and I think that's why I can appreciate their music so much. Battling our demons is never graceful or poetic, yet they make it so by using music. That itself is innovative, but what makes it more unique, is how their bringing these soulful, yet sort of depressing lyrics into their genre of music. These aren't blues musicians or old people with banjos going on about all the problems they face. Amy Whinehouse brought conscious and emotional lyrics to jazz. The beats and beauty of her voice will have you singing along about... smoking weed to get over a bad relationship. Budden is doing this to rap, when the soul of rap is starving. Matter fact, I think its the soul of rap rhyming in these songs that talk about deep depression.

Anyways, once again, enough preaching from me. Here's another track off Padded Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment