Wednesday, March 4, 2009

25 Things About Me (A Narrative)

Yesterday was the first meeting of my Creative Non-Fiction Class since the tragic accident that took one of our classmate's lives. It was so awkward, walking into the classroom, sitting down around the table, looking at her empty chair. It took everything I had to keep from getting emotional during the moment of silence we held for her. So many thoughts were going through my head, and all I could feel was the same pain I knew her family, especially her little sister was going through at that very moment. Today I decided to go onto her blog and see what kind of stuff she posted on there, and turns out one of the exercises we did in class was there. Our teacher found out about the phenomena happening on facebook where people wrote 25 things about themselves and sent it around for everyone to read. Our job in class was to do the same thing, but in narrative form. So our 25 facts would turn into a rather short story, since we only had about 15 minutes to write it. After re-reading hers on her blog, it made me want to post mine. So, here it is, and with only 21 facts because I can't remember all 25!

1. My best friend and I joined a basketball team in 5th grade.
2. We only won two games, one being a forfeit.
3. Half way into the season, I jammed my finger and had to tape it to a popsicle stick for two weeks. I wasn't able to play for a few games, but I was a great cheerleader for the team.
4. After that season, I decided I wanted to play basketball on a collegiate team. It was my new dream.
5. I wanted to try out for my high school team my freshman year, but decided not to after my sister was in a car accident and needed my support to recover.
6. Sophomore year, I did try out and made the freshman team.
7. I played point guard the first game, and was horrible.
8. I was changed to a shooting guard. Much better.
9. Four games into the season, I sprained my knee.
10. I wasn't able to play for the rest of the season, but was a great scorekeeper!
11. My doctor told me that I should stay away from sports. The risk of injuring my knee permanently was too great.
12. My Sophomore year in college my friend convinced me to be co-captain of a co-ed flag football team.
13. Four games into the season, I sprained the same knee all over again.
14. I couldn't play the rest of the season, but resumed my role of team cheerleader!
15. My junior year, I decided to try just exercise.
16. After a few weeks, my back was aching so bad I couldn't get out of bed.
17. The doctor told me I most likely had ankylosing spondilitis, a rare blood disorder that produces extra bone on the spine and ribcage.
18. I quit exercising.
19. This year, I started to exercise once again, since the pain has been absent for awhile.
20. I asked my PE teacher what exercises to do to reduce the risk of injuring anything.
21. So far I haven't hurt anything. Not yet anyway :)


MS

1 comment: