Monday, March 2, 2009

Life is Short

Older folk always tell me, you are so young! You have so much life to live, don't worry about stuff too much now. I just shrug my shoulders and nod my head. No use in trying to make them understand how there is no guaranteed lifespan. There is an unwritten societal rule that one shouldn't worry about anything too seriously until they reach an age of maturity, such as 30 or 40. And since most of those who say this to me have already surpassed this age, they forget that some people never do.

Today I have noticed a small trend that has occurred over the past eight years of my life. Every two years, at least one person I know in some way, shape, or form has been killed by a car accident. Each time it hits me differently, and today is one of the times where a part of me just hurts. I learned through an email from my creative writing non-fiction professor, that a classmate passed away on Saturday from a car accident. I didn't know her well, but enough that I felt something. You learn a lot about a person from their writing, especially non-fiction, because each piece they share is a piece of themselves. I remember that classmate's one story I was fortunate enough to critique, and it was a ode to Wal-Mart and how much she hates it. It was a rather funny piece and it really showed how blunt, sarcastic, and relatable she was. In class, she always shared her opinions with us and sometimes when our teacher would start rambling on about absolutely nothing, we would make eye contact and chuckle to ourselves. It was as if we both were sharing the same thought: What the hell is she talking about! Now all I can think about is tomorrow's class, and how different it is going to be. The first thing everyone is going to notice is her empty seat, and how it will remain that way for the remainder of the semester.

I have wondered many times why so many people I know have died in a car accident. Yes, statistically the highest cause of death of people between the ages of 18 and 24 is from an automobile accident. However, for some reason I don't feel that is the right explanation for this weird phenomena. Lately I have began to wonder if God is trying to say something directly to me through these events. I can't figure out exactly what. Is He saying Don't drive too fast. Be careful, this could happen to you! Right now I believe it is just a reminder, telling me that you never know what could happen. Life really is short, and could be shorter than what you think. So I always just keep that in mind and want to make sure that if I am going to die anytime soon, that my last moments were worth it. Every day I wake up is a blessing, and every night that I get to rest my head on a pillow safely and soundly is an opportunity to thank God for being my Sheperd.

RIP
Robert Martinelli II
Courtney Butcher
Kayla Palker
Matt Turgeon
Ryan Young

No comments:

Post a Comment